It was a garden themed retreat and we started out with a delicious breakfast and learned about preparing our soil for the Spring planting. Then my favorite part of the retreat was the silent walk with the Master Gardner. When I first arrived I wasnt sure what to expect from going to the retreat. I was excited to have a beautiful day with the ladies, no kiddo and nothing to worry about. And then maybe the Lord would teach me something too. So after hearing about preparing our soil, getting the weeds out and asking the Lord what I needed to do to prepare my heart for whatever it was the He wanted me to take from this retreat. I kept wondering to my self, why am I really here? Am I hear just to get away for the day, for some time to myself with out the husband and kiddo? Just here to hang out with the ladies? Try to impress someone by just showing up and trying to look the part? NO! But at first I really did have a hard time putting my heart in the right place and not be distracted by those around me and maybe trying to think of why they were there.
So we went out and had an entire hour to walk with the Lord, silently listening to what He had to say to us. So I started out wandering around thinking to myself, "OK, Lord, What have you got for me? What is it that You want to teach me today?" So I first walked and stumbled upon an ant hill. I thought, hmmm what tiny little ants and look how busy they are, doing whatever it is that they need to do to get through another day. I kneeled down and watched them for a bit and then grew tired of it and still wasn't hearing anything from the Lord so I kept moving. I remembered from when we visited the farm before that there was a trail that led back into the woods so I thought I'd head that way. As I walked the trail I was just amazed at God's Creation. Every little detail so thoughtfully placed.
I then came to a tree that had fallen and under the root ball there was some grass and plantlife that had started to grow where it would have never had the chance to, if that tree had never fallen. I thought "Wow! Now that is some deep thinking right there!"
This is the tree with the new life growing under the fallen root ball.

So as I continued to walk I stepped back a little further to see the whole tree. And saw that not only had this tree fallen, but it had taken two more trees with it when it fell. It got me thinking about how and where my heart was when I arrived at the retreat. Why was I really there? It started to make me realize that I was only there to eat some good food, hang out with the ladies and maybe learn a little something or grow closer to the Lord. I had it all backwards! I realized that if I was only there to look like a super spiritual Christian and my roots weren't very deep, I could very well fall just like this tree had. I realized that though a tall tree may look strong and healthy but the roots are shallow, all it takes is a strong wind to blow and knock it down and those around it could be knocked down right along with it.
We may never know how others look up to us or how others perceive us, but to some we just may be the light that the Lord is using to guide someone to something great. And if we don't dig our roots deep we just may fall and take others down with us.

So my encouragement is not to do what you do to impress others, to make yourself look good or just do the do's and not do the don'ts because thats what is expected of us. But do them for the glory of the Lord, because its what HE wants us to do and by obeying Him and walking with Him that is when we grow and shine.
And here are some other pics from the rest of the retreat for your viewing pleasure.






We may never know how others look up to us or how others perceive us, but to some we just may be the light that the Lord is using to guide someone to something great. And if we don't dig our roots deep we just may fall and take others down with us.

So my encouragement is not to do what you do to impress others, to make yourself look good or just do the do's and not do the don'ts because thats what is expected of us. But do them for the glory of the Lord, because its what HE wants us to do and by obeying Him and walking with Him that is when we grow and shine.
And here are some other pics from the rest of the retreat for your viewing pleasure.






No comments:
Post a Comment